north wales walks in detail - Long Distance/Challenging
distance: 208.00km , 125.00 miles
ascent/descent: 4176.00 4176.00
terrain: Coastal, some hills, woodlands, farmland, wetlands
os grid ref: SH247 826
lat/long 53.3110, -4.6316
3 : Isle of Anglesey Coastal Path
Nearest Town : Holyhead
Best get your sturdy footwear on. Because this long distance route around Anglesey’s coastline is 125 miles long all told.
And can take anything up to a fortnight. Its terrain will test even serious walkers (we’re talking farmland, coastal heath, dunes, salt-marsh, cliffs and woodland). But this being North Wales, don’t feel you have to try too hard. The Path is never more than 720 feet above sea-level. And it’s absolutely fine to tackle it in chunks of just a few hours.
St Cybi’s Church, Holyhead is the official start point, but it’s a circular route so you can start wherever you like. 95% of the Path runs through Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. So expect to see birdlife. Lots of it: puffins, guillemots, razorbills, terns and cormorants. And marine life – anyone for dolphin-spotting? With incredible views from Holyhead Mountain, Anglesey’s highest point, all the way over to Snowdonia on the mainland.
There’s a white sea arch carved into a cliff by the wild waters of Rhoscolyn. Four working lighthouses. A real medieval castle at Beaumaris (which also happens to be a World Heritage Site). And big sandy beaches (they don’t come much bigger or sandier than Newborough Beach and Red Wharf Bay) where you can roll up your trouser legs and get sand between your toes. Or catch the surf from the beach (or first-hand) at Lligwy and Rhosneigr. And after all that exertion you’ll probably need to make use of one of our seaside pubs (if you can manage the walk to the bar, that is).
Average no. of days to complete: 12
Towns / villages directly on the Path: 20
Maps, accessibility to the coastal path and detailed route descriptions can be found on the Visit Anglesey website.
Other Walks Nearby
- Canolfan Ucheldre Centre (~0.1 miles)
- Restored World War II Air Raid Shelter (~0.1 miles)
- South Stack Lighthouse / Ynys Lawd (~0.1 miles)
- Holyhead Maritime Museum & Harbour Front Bistro (~0.1 miles)
- Llynnon Mill (~9 miles)
- Rhyd y Bont Bach - Holyhead (~1.5 miles)
- Trearddur Bungalows - Trearddur Bay (~1.5 miles)
- The Beach Motel - Trearddur Bay (~1.5 miles)
- Anglesey Coastal Cottages - Holyhead (~1.5 miles)
- Outdoor Alternative - Holyhead (~1.5 miles)
- Carreglwyd Coastal Cottages - Holyhead (~9 miles)
- Seaview - Rhosneigr (~9.6 miles)