north wales walks in detail - Long Distance/Challenging
grade:moderate - strenuous
distance: 153.00km , 95.40 miles
ascent/descent: 3852.00 3838.00
terrain: Coastal, some steep hills
os grid ref: SH477625
lat/long 53.1376, -4.2770
Click the link(s) below to download resources in Adobe PDF format:
4 : Llŷn Coastal Path
Nearest Town : Caernarfon
At 95 miles long, and taking an average of about seven days in all, the Llyn Coastal Path is just about the best excuse we can think of to take a week off work.
From Caernarfon the Path makes its way around The Llyn Peninsula (which recently notched-up 50 years as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), along the north coast to Uwchmynydd, then the southern coast to Porthmadog.
The terrain is coastal (coves, beaches, wind-whipped cliffs and steep hills) with Snowdonia, Wales’ biggest National Park, to the east and the Irish Sea to the west. Let’s be honest, the weather in these parts can be unpredictable. But incredible views you can rely on.
The Path is partly based on an ancient pilgrimage route to Bardsey Island - a Christian shrine turned National Nature Reserve. And is a great way to brush up on your Welsh history: St Beuno’s Church, St. Beuno’s Well and Clynnog Dolmen standing stones at Clynnog Fawr. Prehistoric hut circles at Tre’r Ceiri hillfort. And not one but two medieval castles – Caernarfon (a World Heritage Site) and Criccieth.
For a lesson in natural history, spot our bottle-nosed dolphins and Atlantic grey seals in the coastal waters. And stonechats, goldfinches, and sand martins in the dunes. A major route for migratory birds runs right through the Llyn, too – so you can expect arrivals of redwing, chaffinches, starlings and skylarks in the autumn. Good reason for stopping and staring, then - even if it is just to give your feet a break.
For details of this walk including maps, places of interest, things to see and do, and local history and culture along the coastline and countryside see the Visit Snowdonia website.
Other Walks Nearby
- Caernarfon Castle (~1.1 miles)
- Gypsy Wood Park (~1.1 miles)
- Redline Indoor Karting (~1.1 miles)
- The Fun Centre (~1.7 miles)
- Plas Menai Watersport Centre (~1.7 miles)
- Plas Newydd (Anglesey) (~2.2 miles)
- Anglesey Model Village and Gardens (~2.2 miles)
- Anglesey Sea Zoo (~2.2 miles)
- Foel Farm (~2.2 miles)
- Tal-y-Foel Isle of Anglesey Riding Centre (~2.2 miles)
- YHA Snowdon Ranger - Caernarfon (~4 miles)
- Plas y Nant - Caernarfon (~4 miles)
- Fron Deg Holiday Lets - Gaerwen (~5.3 miles)
- River Garden Restaurant & Guest House - Beddgelert (~7.4 miles)
- Coed Gelert Holiday Cottages - Beddgelert (~7.4 miles)
- Plas Tan y Graig - Beddgelert (~7.4 miles)
- YHA Llanberis - Llanberis (~7.4 miles)
- YHA Pen-y-Pass - Caernarfon (~7.4 miles)
- YHA Bryn Gwynant - Caernarfon (~7.4 miles)
- Caernarfon Bay Farmhouse & Cottages - Caernarfon (~7.6 miles)